Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Fedora 9 and packaging

I ran into a weird issue with Fedora 9 today. Just before leaving home, I shut my laptop lid and headed out. In my auto rickshaw on Bangalore roads, I found my bag heating up. To my surprise, I found that the laptop failed to suspend. When I tried again, I saw a popup that said

Hibernate request refused, the package manager prevented the hibernate operation since it was in the middle on an uninterruptible operation or something similar. I had to manually kill all the packagekit processes and yum before I got the laptop to resume.

I should start filing the BUGS I find into bugzilla soon.

6 comments:

mether said...

Essentially, if you suspend in the middle of a transaction, your RPM database might get corrupted due to suspend/resume state transitions. This was always the case. It is just that PackageKit is intelligent enough to warn you in this particular instance. Not a bug.

Balbir said...

No.. I was not in the middle of a transaction, I had not network and I had no RPMs being updated either.

PackageKit was stuck trying to get updates from an unconnected computer and thought that it was not interruptible.

I do understand that corrupting the RPM database can be fatal, but PackageKit was confused about it's state.

Gops said...

MWHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem. Shutting the lid does not hibernate. There is nothing running in the background. Unlike GNOME, I could not find "Power Management" tool where I could set the option of "suspend to RAM when lid is closed". Read your blog. Generally speaking KDE 4 looks cool, but is slow to respond as you said. Having said that GNOME has a very dry look, but has a much nicer set of panel applets like weather, cpu frequency scaling etc which I miss in KDE. Back to GNOME now!

BTW, you must be lucky since your hadrdisk didn't crash despite a rickshaw ride in Bangalore!! Bangalore rickshaw wallas are F1-wannabes..

Balbir said...

I've been playing more with F9 and with the new updates, things are definitely improving. I must admit, I am getting better at looking at the bugzilla and making some noise when things don't work.

I wish I could get the F9 folks to get something like apt for package maintenance.

Anonymous said...

You mean you are not aware of yum (just like apt-get)??

Ranking and Unranking permutations

I've been a big fan of Skiena's Algorithm Design Manual , I recently found my first edition of the book (although I own the third ed...