Saturday, December 20, 2008

MUST READ: The Last Lecture


I first heard of the book when I was traveling to a conference with a colleague who wanted to read the book, but wanted to find the best place to buy it. He briefly mentioned what the book was about, which I quickly forgot. I saw it again at several places, until I finally bought it from Strand bookshop in Bangalore. The most famous quote from the book is

“We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.”
--Randy Pausch


This is one of the few books that I've had several people in my family read partially and love it (they are waiting to finish the full book). The book is about childhood dreams, how to achieve them and also goes a step further and talks about how to help others achieve their dreams.

The book is spectacularly well written, when you begin feel sad for Randy (the Author), there is a twist that will make you feel proud of the way Randy handled himself. The book is about positivity, about never giving up, about believing in humanity, in being true, about family values, about the good in the world, with sometimes what cannot be controlled and must be accepted.

Don't pick this book up as a pity book for Randy, you'll be left pitying yourself after reading everything that Randy did and how he lived his life, leaving us pondering if we've made the best use of our time. Randy focuses on family values, his students, his mentors, his family and there is not a single negative sentiment that he passes on to the readers.

If you are feeling depressed or need something good and small to read, something to boost your moral, to rebuild faith, to appreciate life and the people around you, you must read "The Last Lecture"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Balbir,

The book was an account of Randys life and i find each and every story of it very inspiring.My favourite line from the book is " Time is very short.One day you will find what you have is not enough"

Randy has become my hero.
Deepak.P

Balbir said...

Yes, it is a very inspiring book and Randy is known to be very good with time management, unfortunately the truth is we all don't know how much time we have.

Randy is not my hero, but definitely an inspiration and someone I would have loved to meet.

Gops said...

Why read when you can watch? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

Enjoy :)

Balbir said...

The video is just a small part of what the book covers. The book goes much beyond in time compared to the video. The overlap is almost insignificant.

Ranking and Unranking permutations

I've been a big fan of Skiena's Algorithm Design Manual , I recently found my first edition of the book (although I own the third ed...