Sunday, November 03, 2019

Frustration with the state of math in schools

I remember growing up and enjoying math in class. The learning method used in school was not very exploratory, but my dad (who was a genius in my opinion) made it a lot of fun. My dad was very protective also about what I learnt, I used to look at my elder brothers book and learn calculus in grade 8, but my dad suggested that the wrong background would lead me down to a path of losing interest. I guess he was right, but then by 8th grade I was able to calculate square and cube roots using the Newton Raphson method.

NOTE: I had learnt the formula for squares and cubes without necessarliy mastering how we arrived at the differential, it was algorithm/formula for me to follow

My frustration is with the math of today, some with the teachers where I put my son for some extra classes and he was asked to remember formulae without detailed concepts. I see why those topics are important, but it seems like:


  • Teachers who want to clarify concepts and teach nicely are too slow in catching up with topics to be covered
  • Teachers catching up with topics and keeping good pace, don't spend enough time on concepts

Short of explaining everything to my son and writing a book or blog posts it's going to be hard to find a balance. I have some hope in the form of Khan Academy, but my son is not too interested in it at the moment.

If someone has pointers to great graphics/programs that can help, please do. Otherwise, I'll try and cover ratio and proportions for my first post.

No comments:

Ranking and Unranking permutations

I've been a big fan of Skiena's Algorithm Design Manual , I recently found my first edition of the book (although I own the third ed...