Sunday, July 16, 2006

First major contribution to the Linux Kernel

The code is now in linux-2.6.18-rc2 the feature is called per-task delay accounting. It gives me my first set of copyrighted files in the Linux kernel, download -rc2 and open up kernel/taskstats.c, include/linux/taskstats*, Documentation/accounting/getdelays.c

The Documentation/accounting directory has a lot of details on how to use and extend our feature. The review processes was very informative, learning and entertaining.

If you are interested in seeing how the review happened, the process, let me know and I'll post the relevant URL's. In case you are interested in what's happening in the Linux Kernel front, Andrew Morton gave a talk at OSDL Japan, about the new features and their current status.

2 comments:

Gops said...

Awesome!!!
So, the next time I get per-task improved performance, I know whom to blame! :)

Balbir said...

Well, we hope the data will be useful for determining bottlenecks and several other places. If things go well, you might see a paper on it sometime in the future.

I have my fingers crossed.

Ranking and Unranking permutations

I've been a big fan of Skiena's Algorithm Design Manual , I recently found my first edition of the book (although I own the third ed...