Thursday, November 09, 2006

Ten top things to do after installing a new Linux Distribution

Even though most of distributions have gotten better with look & feel and integration of hardware with Linux, here are the top ten things I usually do after installing a new distribution

  1. Fix the bootloader to set the order of booting the OS
  2. Get the right fonts
  3. Download media players like real or helix and mplayer
  4. Download and install a DVD player
  5. Install Java and the Java Plugin
  6. Install Acrobat Reader
  7. Install Acrobat Flash Plugin
  8. Install TeX, Scribus, Xfig and Inkscape
  9. Install wxMaxima and Scilab
  10. Install development packages like Eric, Kdeveloper & Eclipse
Remember, installing an entirely new distribution requires a lot of patience, googling and sleep. I'll try and walk you through the nuances of the various distributions available. My favourite these days is Ubuntu. It's a great distribution built on top of another great distribution (debian).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is the top 10 things I do when I install Windows:
- Smile
- Play with it
- Play my favourite DVD (the player comes pre-installed)
- Browse the web (configuration is a cinch)
- Show fun pix to my nephews
- Play my favourite mp3s
- e.t.c e.t.c :)

Just kiddin' :D

Balbir said...

Nice!

There's a famous quote


UNIX is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are


Luckily for me UNIX has been a good friend so far.

WINODWS(TM) on the other hand is friendly to all, it has too many friends, here's my quote for WINODWS


WINODWS is very user friendly, without being selective. In fact, it is so many friends, that it has time for none of its friends

Ranking and Unranking permutations

I've been a big fan of Skiena's Algorithm Design Manual , I recently found my first edition of the book (although I own the third ed...