Saturday, December 22, 2007

Sounds in my life

The gentle and shrill sounds in my everyday life, call my attention to them. In earlier days, the only sound that one would hear is of people talking to them, children playing on the street or a baby calling for Mama's attention.

Compare and contrast that with what we hear today; the sound of the TV, the microwave, radio, music player, sound of vehicles zooming on the street, vehicles blowing horns, the telephone, the cell phone trying to tell you someone wants to talk to you (even when you are in the restroom), this someone could be a pre-recorded sales call; the computer buzzing to tell you that someone is trying to reach you through instant chat, the courier person ringing the doorbell, the alarm-clock ringing on my cell phone

How am I supposed to listen to myself and others around me; with these distracting sounds calling for my attention. We have moved into a new era, where we need more sounds to tell us, that we are needed elsewhere. I need to filter these sounds, so that I can hear my heart-beat, the pin-drop and my those around me giggle and laugh.

2 comments:

blackgirl on mars said...

Hello There! I found your blog via Balbirsingh, which is also my family's name in Trinidad (in the Caribbean).
I like what you write here about all the noise--interestingly enough I often wonder if there is really a rise in Attention Deficit Disorder, or is it merely because there is a rise of distractions we are supposed to become accustomed to?
Take care and I wish you peace and happiness in this New Year.
Blessing,
Blackgirl on Mars

Balbir said...

Hi,

Interesting Family Name, it's a common name in India. Noise is being used to drive people, whether it be the alarm clock, the office hooter, the ambulance, the horn of a vehicle. There's been a rise of distractions, it's the side effect of living in a world, where it takes less than a minute to communicate a message and a little longer to get a response or expect one.

Thanks, I wish you have a great new year ahead as well

Ranking and Unranking permutations

I've been a big fan of Skiena's Algorithm Design Manual , I recently found my first edition of the book (although I own the third ed...