Friday, October 30, 2009

A consumer complains

I recently bought a new laptop and the display went bad in less than 15 days. I eventually got it back with the LCD replaced, but my experience at the customer service was horrible and I complained. Here is the letter I wrote, I am hoping that [company] will wake up and take notice. Customer service offered elsewhere (outside India) seems to be much more superior with value for customers.

My experience with [company] today was one of the worst I've had with any product support. I visited [service center] to repair my 15 day old laptop, the display had stopped working. I found that the front desk person opened my laptop without using any static protection mechanism, which I escalated all the way to [somename] (Customer Service Head). I asked for a letter of apology for not following prescribed procedure. [somename] told me it is a human error and I need to ignore it and stop interfering with how [company] service people work (I as a customer was going beyond my boundaries and interfering with their day to day work). After my complaint, the other people started doing the right thing, the local manager said that his employees were tired and just had lunch (hence the error). If [company] can void my warranty (even for opening my laptop, even though I did not (just hypothetically)), why is it OK for [company] service people to *NOT HANDLE* my laptop carefully.

Clearly I am very disappointed and want to see justice done in this matter. All I want so far is a letter of apology for not handling my product and a guarantee that their action has not damaged my laptop

Do you have any experiences to share? Consumer rights are taken for granted and I wish we could be more empowered to take stronger action.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see your point, but to reach to that level of customer experience as you are expecting is a bit too much I think for now. We are still way too behind and need to catch up with many other things before we can reach here!

Balbir said...

Given those same companies are providing better customer service, why do we lag behind? Are the people we hire hear coming with a baggage of attitude that prevents us from getting there?

Anonymous said...

May be because we deserve that! (because majority don't demand) May be things will slowly change if we start DEMANDING better service as you did in the present case.

Recently a company failed to deliver a product to me on the specified date/time and made my visit to their stores futile. When I asked that I should be compensated for spending my time and money, the stores manager was perplexed and the maximum he did was to home-deliver the product the next day.

So what you and I are expecting can probably be called 'next/higher level of service'. We still need to get proper 'basic customer service' and only then all these 'extended services' can be imagined :)

Ranking and Unranking permutations

I've been a big fan of Skiena's Algorithm Design Manual , I recently found my first edition of the book (although I own the third ed...