Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Open Solaris



I am very excited about open Solaris. With the Apple folks also deciding to move to an Intel platform, Intel users would have access to

  1. Linux
  2. FreeBSD/NetBSD/(other BSD clones)
  3. Solaris
  4. MAC-OS X (derived from darwin - open darwin)
  5. Windows
The exciting thing is that sources for the first four can be easily obtained. Its fun to see gcc ported to all these platforms. All these are encouraging trends, the base support software is getting free, so will the other support tools in time to come. What will the software industry pay for then?

Lets see where the future takes us.

No comments:

Ranking and Unranking permutations

I've been a big fan of Skiena's Algorithm Design Manual , I recently found my first edition of the book (although I own the third ed...