Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Fedora 12 is out



I use Fedora on my desktop, now more than ever. I am currently well setup on Fedora 11, with 3D graphics (yeah, I can get Secondlife, google earth, etc to work with great speed) setup. Setting up 3D graphics was not easy (but that should be another blog entry. I also have my favourite sound system ALSA setup. I could never get used to Pulseaudio or get it to work the way I like. I am still trying to get webgl to work on my browser. The features in Fedora 12 are too tempting and of course I am already using some of the latest features via rawhide.

I guess its time to plunge into Fedora 12! Do take a look at the release tour of Fedora 12.

2 comments:

sunil said...

I used to be with fedora a while ago, but switched to debian and never looked back. I recently tried Ubuntu because it is debian based. Not perfect but being debian based helps. I understand the PulseAudio beef, I kind of got it working with Ubuntu 9. I dont use a built in sound card anyways, I use a usb audio transport and use a external DAC->to-amp-spkrs. Havent tried google earth yet. I have a high-end Nvidia Quadro so hopefully 3d accel works with nvidia drivers ...

Balbir said...

Yeah good choices on the audio and video front. Video drivers from Nvidia should have you covered. Do try secondlife as well, it can be boring if you aim around aimlessly, but otherwise it is quite exciting. See if you can get webgl (firefox 3.7+) to work.

I am considering an update to F12, but I've got too much baggage that might come in the way.

Ranking and Unranking permutations

I've been a big fan of Skiena's Algorithm Design Manual , I recently found my first edition of the book (although I own the third ed...