Friday, August 05, 2005

An unexpected visit

On one of my posts, I found a post from two people who decided to visit other blogs and leave behind a visit me message. I think that's cool, but where does one draw the line?

Well, to be fair, I visited their web site from home and found out something about them. Blog's are multi-dimensional (people might not be willing to show all aspects of themselves completely). Some blogs are personal, some are political, some are technical, etc. Some blogs have mixed content.

I use the blog's I read column to link to my friends, but I might start indicating what kind of blogs I would like my blog to be linked with. The blogosphere is similar to a biological system. Wikipedia's definition of Blogosphere is very interesting.

Wikipedia states

Blogosphere (alternate: blogsphere) is the collective term encompassing all weblogs or blogs as a community or social network. Many weblogs are densely interconnected; bloggers read others' blogs, link to them, reference them in their own writing, and post comments on each others' blogs. Because of this, the interconnected blogs have grown their own culture.

Blogosphere is an essential concept for blogs. Blogs themselves are just web formats, whereas the blogosphere is a social phenomenon. What really differentiates blogs from webpages, forums, or chatrooms is that blogs can be part of that shifting Internet-wide social network.

Like biological systems, the blogosphere demonstrates all the classic ecological patterns: predators and prey, evolution and emergence, natural selection and adaptation. The number of links obtained by a blog, is frequently related to the quality and quantity of information presented by that blog. That means, the most popular blogs have the highest link level, the worst blogs have the lowest link level. The blog ecosystem has its own selection and adaptation mechanism. The good tends to become better, the bad tends to disappear.

Through links and commentaries, the blogosphere with its self-perfecting mechanism, converts itself from a personal publishing system into a collaborative publishing system.


I don't want to disappear, please help me survive :-)

No comments:

Ranking and Unranking permutations

I've been a big fan of Skiena's Algorithm Design Manual , I recently found my first edition of the book (although I own the third ed...