Monday, June 06, 2005

Big Powerful Processors

Intel and AMD seem to be flooding our markets with Dual Core/Hyperthreaded Processors. These processors are so quick that they hide away our programming inefficiencies. Even badly/poorly programmed code works good on them (not always, really really bad code will show). I realized that the same code which worked super fast on one of these processors was snail slow on another. By spending some time tuning up the code, it worked faster as expected.

The point being, on a fast processor, I would have left it as is "inefficient"

Revisit your code under harsher conditions like
  1. Lesser memory
  2. Slower processor

3 comments:

kattricker said...

Apple is betting on Intel for its hardware. Dunno if thats good for the mac community. Maybe Harsha can listen to Steve Jobs in Mascone (apparently he is giving a keynote this week) and tell us if he was convincing.

Balbir said...

I think that still speculation, but if that is true, its great! It will be a big boost to UNIX and Linux.

I think in a world where applications can be well shared across Darwin and Linux, imagine running the MAC-OS-X GUI on Linux with an emulator.

It will be easier to find drivers for your MAC-OS-X previously unsupported add-on PCI cards, etc. Life will be better and hopefully MAC-OS-X will drop prices to affordable levels.

If Apple uses a dual core, I just might switch if the price is right.

H said...

It is indeed a fact,but could not attend Steve Jobs keynote at Mascone

Ranking and Unranking permutations

I've been a big fan of Skiena's Algorithm Design Manual , I recently found my first edition of the book (although I own the third ed...