- To use as an extension
- To use as a starting point
You could find yourself in a situation where somebody else is working on your code.
Believe me, code does not get thrown away that easily.
I have been thinking of ways and means of understanding third party code easily. Here are my first thoughts
If you are the author of new code
- Comment it well (its obvious), but revisit your comments and documents you have written
- Read the Practice of Programming before you write code
- Learn about Literate Programming and try to use it if possible
If you are burdened with somebody else's code
- Read the documentation that comes with the code, too bad if it does not come with any documentation. If you do not understand the document, read it several times
- Read the test plan document first and see if you understand the test cases
- Use a reverse engineering tool like
- Any commercial tool available